Tuesday, January 1, 2013

Common Core Research and Informational Writing

I am getting ready to embark on a research-informational writing project with my students. Based on the Common Core standards, my students tackled personal narratives and opinion writing.  All went well especially since my district uses Write from the Beginning.  However, Write from the Beginning does not have a well developed research lessons or teacher modeling of informational writing.  I have been reading the book, Energize: Research Reading & Writing by Lehman.  Lehman is one of the authors of the Common Core ELA standards.  This has been an excellent book; very practical and exactly what I needed to help me make sure my research unit meet the ideas of the Common Core standards.

I am currently reading the book and collecting sources for my students to use.  My students have just finished a Revolutionary War Unit in our Social Studies class.  Since they all have some common background information on this topic and they had some questions throughout the unit that were not answered, I decided this would be the topic of the research project. Based on Lehman's book I have decided not to limit their choices in research topics, just that the research project must be about the American Revolution.  The book has some great lessons on how to help students narrow down their topic, choosing sources, and taking notes.  However, before I start a new writing type, I like to have my rubric prepared, teaching with the end in mind.  I don't usually present the rubric to my students until I have modeled the type of writing and they have a rough draft complete.  I do use the rubric as a checklist for myself of the lessons I need to teach and how my students are progressing in these areas.  Once I present the rubric to my class we use it to assess a sample writing and make changes to the writing.  Before I began to teach any lessons in class, I looked through my Write from the Beginning materials and did not find a rubric that I could revise so I had to create one from scratch.  I closely used the Informational and Research writing standards from Common Core to create the rubric.  This rubric is based on the fourth grade standards but feel free to change for your grade level.

Click title to download Google document of rubric. (Once you download you can change the text direction of the first column in word.)


Conventions
Spelling and Grammar
Spell grade appropriate words and use dictionary. Use correct verbs, pronouns, and plurals.
1 Very few mistakes
0 Many mistakes interfere with readability
Punctuation
Use punctuation correctly: quotations, compound sentences, phrases, and lists
1 Very few mistakes
0 Many mistakes interfere with readability
Capitalization
Use correct capitalization: names, titles, and beginning of sentences
1 Very few mistakes
0 Many mistakes or mistakes interfere with readability
Introduction
Topic
Clearly introduce topic
2 Clearly stated topic with subtopics mentioned
1 Stated topic
0 Topic unclear or does not match body
Structure
Group related info in paragraphs and sections (each section has a heading, graphic, and caption)
3 Three or more sections with all items mentioned
2 Less than three sections or missing one item
1 Less than three sections or missing several items
0 Less than three sections or missing many items
Body
Details
Develop with facts, definitions, concert details, examples, and quotations-when useful
3 All sections have clear details using the items listed
2 Two sections are well developed with details
1 One section is well developed with details
0 Not enough details to help reader comprehend
Transitional Words
Link ideas within categories using words and phrases
1 Grade appropriate transitional words are used to move the writing along and clarify information
0 Few transitional words that do not clarify info
Word Choice
Use precise language, descriptive words, and domain specific voc.
2 Each section meets criteria mentioned
1 Some sections meet criteria mentioned
0 Few or no sections meet criteria mentioned
Conclusion
Provide a concluding statement or section related to information
1 Review of topic
0 No conclusion
Research







Sources Used
Use print and digital sources to collect information
2 Three sources were used at least one was print and one was digital (non-print)
1 Three sources were used but all one type
0 Less than three sources were used
Citing Sources
Title and author of sources used
1 Sources used are listed with title and author
0 No cited sources or cited incorrectly
Taking Notes
Paraphrase info from sources
2 Notes are paraphrased except quotes
0 Notes are not paraphrased
Comments:
Total Points (20 possible points):







 

1 comment:

  1. Oh! This looks great! I love the simplicity of the rubric. Can't wait to read more about it.

    Misty
    Think, Wonder, & Teach

    ReplyDelete